At 4Science we work with our community to develop sophisticated research information & data management and cultural heritage solutions that are sustainable for the environment and the employees. We advocate for accelerating the digital transformation of today for a more sustainable world of tomorrow.
The best way for institutions to develop sustainable digital solutions
4Science offers outstanding solutions for research information & data management and cultural heritage. We do so following the most advanced sustainable policies so you can have the best solution tailored to your needs while respecting the environment.
Key Sustainability Points:
- 4Science sustains remote work for its employees.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: Remote work helps reduce our company’s footprint. Working from home avoids the commute to work, which saves not only time but also transportation costs. Lesser commuters eventually result in lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- Reduced impact on infrastructure: Infrastructure maintenance costs are reduced since there are fewer vehicles on the road, there are fewer traffic jams, and there is less pollution from gasoline-powered engines.
- Reduces waste for office spaces: Energy is heavily used in large offices. Due to fewer individuals working in workplaces, there will be fewer spaces to cool, light, and heat. This reduces the environmental impact.
The advantages in terms of sustainability and energy saving of the digital library
- In the library field, we often find the existence of digitized material stored on the servers or PCs of the library or institution to which they belong.
- The creation of new DL has the advantage of making online services available to citizens/users who have, therefore, the opportunity to take advantage of these opportunities without having to access the library premises.
- A quality service that reduces the costs of managing the library is also understood as energy costs: heating or air conditioning of the premises.
- In these times of energy saving, the institutions/ administrations that make choices in the direction of making online services available follow a sustainable direction and attention to costs, enhancing the services themselves.”
Hosting Solution (SaaS)
- Choosing the 4Science hosting solution can help to reduce energy use by nearly 80%
- 4Science hosting solutions are on the AWS cloud system.
- The Dublin AWS centre used by 4Science runs 100% with wind power energy
- AWS plans on running all its cloud warehouses with green energy by 2025
- All new 4Science installations hosted on AWS use ARM/graviton architecture servers that are greener than traditional solutions based on x86/AMD architectures
- With the SaaS solution, the institutions will save also on energy costs rather than run their own machines 24/7